Dolphin Brewery Poole

Bringing History Back to Life

Our aim is to research the history of the brewery, providing a comprehensive ongoing record of a key part of Pooles social history
Richard Pride

The History

Stacks Image 3
The Dolphin Brewery was established in 1750 as a brewhouse next to the Dolphin Public House, Market Street (now Market Close) in Poole.

It was acquired by Tom & William Adeey in 1818, followed by R Miller in 1830, and Tom Rickman in 1838. The business traded as Tom & Joseph Rickman from 1856 to 1860, Tom Rickman, junior, becoming sole proprietor in 1860.

Henry Emmott joined him in partnership in 1864, the firm trading as Rickman & Emmott until 1867 when T Rickman was replaced by Mills & Marston, trading as Emmott, Mills & Marston.

From 1871 the business was known as Mills & Marston, John Taylor Marston becoming sole proprietor in 1878.

Marston's Dolphin Brewery Ltd., was registered in June 1897 as a limited liability company to acquire the business. The company took over some licenced houses of A T Sibeth, Fontmell Magna Brewery, Fontmell Magna, Dorset, in 1904 and Heath Poult Brewery, Boscombe, Dorset,

In 1916. It was acquired, along with 59 tied houses, by Strong & Co of Romsey Ltd, Romsey, Hampshire, in 1926, and went into liquidation in December 1928. The brewery ceased to brew, but was used as a depot until 1939.

The brewery was demolished but the main doorcase to was re-used in the art school at Canford Magna.

Over the life of the brewery it owned around 60 well beloved pubs in and round the Bournemouth, Poole, Wareham and local Dorset area.